Twice-Cooked Crispy Fried Tofu
0 made it | 0 reviews |
"When I can't get kosher meat, I simply do without but today I just craved something meaty. I had a pack of extra-firm tofu in the fridge and this is what I did with it. Baking the tofu before frying helps to crisp it up and imparts the meatiness I was seeking. My BFF thought it was fish at first glance. He is not into foreign foods but he was very enthusiastic about these yummy little bites when served with dipping sauce."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients59 m servings 281
Original recipe yields 2 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- Pat tofu dry with a paper towel. Slice in half lengthwise. Cut each half into 1/4-inch pieces, about 14 pieces in total. Place tofu between paper towels and drain, about 20 minutes.
- Season tofu with salt and pepper. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch, paprika, thyme, and seasoned salt together to make cornstarch seasoning.
- Pat any excess moisture off the tofu. Sprinkle cornstarch seasoning evenly over top. Arrange on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until tofu starts to brown, about 7 minutes. Turn over and continue baking until the upper side is darkened, about 3 minutes more.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu and fry until golden-brown, about 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels.
- Cook's Note:
- Drain and season the tofu ahead of time then freeze in a single layer. When ready to prepare, thaw slightly and pat off excess moisture before coating with the seasoned cornstarch. The tofu acquires a meatier texture with freezing.
Per Serving: 281 calories; 17.7 15.6 18.5 0 209 Full nutrition