Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs Smothered and Stuffed with Awesome
Ingredients1 h 6 m servings 447
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Trim asparagus spears to extend 1 inch past each side of the thighs.
- Place 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese into a bowl.
- Lay chicken thighs flat on a work surface. Place 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on each thigh, followed by 3 asparagus spears. Roll thigh around stuffing; wrap 1 bacon slice around each thigh. Tie a 12-inch length of string around the bacon, ensuring bacon ends are secured. Place stuffed thighs in the lined pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 30 to 40 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of a thigh should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; add jalapenos. Cook, stirring regularly, until juices have evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining butter, melt completely, about 1 minute. Stir in flour until it starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in warm milk, 1/3 cup at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
- Bring milk mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Add remaining mozzarella cheese, stir gently to incorporate into sauce.
- Cut strings from thighs and smother with sauce.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not handle jalapeno seeds with your bare fingers; use rubber gloves to protect your hands from the irritating oils.
- The first time you add the milk to the flour, it will thicken to a paste; it will gradually thin out as you add more milk.
- If you prefer crispier bacon on the bottom, place the thighs on a rack inside the baking pan. I like my chicken to stew in the bacon juices, which is why I put them directly into the pan.
Per Serving: 447 calories; 27.3 13.9 35.6 117 1348 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
My family loved this! I altered VERY little by sprinkling garlic powder and pepper on the thighs and making the béchamel with bacon grease instead of butter. Oh, and I sweetened the béchamel w...
Absolutely a great dish just like written! I’ve now made this several times because it’s such a hit!