Bacon-Wrapped Chicken Thighs Smothered and Stuffed with Awesome
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 6 m servings 447 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 stuffed chicken thighs)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
- Trim asparagus spears to extend 1 inch past each side of the thighs.
- Place 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese into a bowl.
- Lay chicken thighs flat on a work surface. Place 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese on each thigh, followed by 3 asparagus spears. Roll thigh around stuffing; wrap 1 bacon slice around each thigh. Tie a 12-inch length of string around the bacon, ensuring bacon ends are secured. Place stuffed thighs in the lined pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center and juices run clear, 30 to 40 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of a thigh should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C).
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; add jalapenos. Cook, stirring regularly, until juices have evaporated, 1 to 2 minutes. Add remaining butter, melt completely, about 1 minute. Stir in flour until it starts to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Pour in warm milk, 1/3 cup at a time, mixing completely after each addition.
- Bring milk mixture to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 7 minutes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Add remaining mozzarella cheese, stir gently to incorporate into sauce.
- Cut strings from thighs and smother with sauce.
- Cook's Notes:
- Do not handle jalapeno seeds with your bare fingers; use rubber gloves to protect your hands from the irritating oils.
- The first time you add the milk to the flour, it will thicken to a paste; it will gradually thin out as you add more milk.
- If you prefer crispier bacon on the bottom, place the thighs on a rack inside the baking pan. I like my chicken to stew in the bacon juices, which is why I put them directly into the pan.
Per Serving: 447 calories; 27.3 g fat; 13.9 g carbohydrates; 35.6 g protein; 117 mg cholesterol; 1348 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
I followed this recipe exactly. This is the best chicken recipe EVER. I have made this for birthdays, get-togethers and family dinners and every person has raved about this dish. Forget the five...