Walking Tacos with Campfire Chili
1 made it | 0 reviews |
Ashley Baron Rodriguez
"Simple chili prepared in a Dutch oven, then served over a bag of Fritos® or other chips with loads of toppings (like sharp Cheddar cheese, scallions, diced onion, sour cream, and avocado). Perfect for picnics, block parties, camp-outs and game nights. You can simply pour out the Fritos into a serving dish and top with the accompaniments or--if you wish to be truly authentic, and I think you do-- serve the Frito pie directly in the Frito bag."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 58 m servings 708
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over high heat. Season beef chuck and pork shoulder generously with salt. Cook in the hot oil in batches until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes per batch.
- Stir onions, jalapeno chile pepper, and garlic into the Dutch oven; cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, orange juice, lime juice, chili powder, lime zest, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, cover partially with the lid, and simmer until beef and pork fall apart when pressed, about 3 hours.
- Divide corn chips among serving bowls. Spoon chili on top. Garnish each serving with cotija cheese, pickled jalapeno peppers, limes, and cilantro.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute butter or lard for the oil if desired.
- If chili gets too thick in step 2, add a bit of water to thin it out and continue to simmer.
- Chili can be made up to 3 days in advance. Reheat with a bit of water to thin.
- Use small bags of corn chips for individual portions if preferred.
Per Serving: 708 calories; 43.3 54.1 29.4 92 743 Full nutrition