Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients8 h 55 m servings 298 cals
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Mix orange juice, onion, lime juice, olive oil, garlic, brown sugar, salt, oregano, cumin, lime zest, pepper, and bay leaves in a heavy Dutch oven. Add pork shoulder; turn to coat. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator, 4 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Remove Dutch oven from the refrigerator and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake pork in the preheated oven until heated through, about 1 1/2 hours. Flip pork carefully. Replace foil and bake for 1 hour more. Remove aluminum foil. Continue baking uncovered, turning once halfway through, until pork falls apart and marinade is reduced, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Remove pork from oven and let rest for 20 minutes. Shred pork in the Dutch oven using 2 forks; mix shredded pork with the reduced marinade. Discard bay leaves.
- Cook's Notes:
- Use 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder if preferred. For a shoulder of this size, the total cooking time is usually 4 to 5 hours, or 1 to 1 1/2 hour per pound.
- The pork can be fully prepared (marinated and braised) 1 to 2 days ahead and stored, covered, in the refrigerator. The flavor improves over time.
- This is delicious made into Pulled Pork Chilaquiles.
Per Serving: 298 calories; 22 g fat; 10.7 g carbohydrates; 14.3 g protein; 52 mg cholesterol; 763 mg sodium. Full nutrition