Ingredients1 h 8 m servings 202
- Combine salt, pepper, and thyme in a bowl.
- Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onions until soft and golden brown, about 8 minutes. Move to a bowl.
- Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter in the skillet; remove from heat.
- Arrange 1/3 of potato slices in the skillet in a slightly overlapping layer. Sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt mixture. Top with 1/2 of the onions and 1/2 of the Gruyere cheese. Repeat layers, ending with potatoes; sprinkle with remaining salt mixture.
- Cover and cook over medium-low heat, reducing heat to low if necessary, until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover and continue cooking, about 5 minutes. Run a spatula around edges to loosen; let cool, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Invert potatoes carefully onto a serving dish.
- Cook's Note:
- Use the slicing blade of a food processor to get thin, even potato and onion slices.
Per Serving: 202 calories; 6 34.4 4 15 489 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 6
11.5.17 Lovely presentation and actually quite easy if you have a food processor. Followed the recipe with the exception of using russet potatoes (what I had) instead of Yukon Gold, and they w...
Haven't tried it yet. Pommes is french for apples. Pomme de terre is potatoes
Beyond a doubt, one word, phenomenal! Entire family love this. I made it in my cast iron skillet!
This was a super easy recipe. I usually do Au Gratin type potatoes in the oven. This was much quicker and easier, and the result was amazing! The Gruyere cheese was a perfect fit. I admit, I...
Nice presentation when you flip it over - nice & brown crust on the potatoes. Hubby made these & said you want to have potatoes thinly sliced & the onion. For our preference we'll try more Gruye...