Kasutera (Castella), the Japanese Traditional Honey Cake
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 30 m servings 710
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Line a cake pan with parchment paper. Butter the paper and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon superfine sugar.
- Bring a saucepan of water to a boil; pour into a large bowl.
- Whisk 1/4 cup honey and milk together in a bowl until smooth.
- Beat eggs with an electric mixer in a bowl placed over the hot water. Gradually add 1 1/3 cup superfine sugar; beat until smooth and mixture is warm. Remove bowl of egg mixture from the bowl of hot water and cool to room temperature, about 5 minutes. Return bowl of egg mixture to the hot water and continue beating. Repeat this process a few times until batter is foamy and thick.
- Pour milk mixture into egg mixture and mix well using a spatula; stir in sifted flour until batter is mixed. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean, about 50 minutes. Spread the remaining 1 tablespoon honey over the top of cake. Serve slices with sweet bean paste and ice cream, if desired.
- Editor's Note:
- If you can't find canned sweet red bean paste, you can make your own with this recipe.
Per Serving: 710 calories; 8.1 148.5 14.7 251 108 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1