Smashed Cucumber Salad
Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 29 cals
- Wrap each cucumber in plastic wrap to minimize splattering. Place on a work surface and pound with a flat object (like a meat pounder) until cucumbers crack and are slightly flattened. Remove from plastic. Cut cucumbers in half; halve each side lengthwise. Slice into 1- to 1 1/2 -inch wide slices. Transfer to a strainer set over a bowl.
- Sprinkle cucumber with sugar and salt; mix until well combined. Refrigerate bowl and strainer for 30 to 60 minutes so cucumber pieces can drain into the bowl.
- Place garlic, seasoned rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, and red pepper flakes in a large bowl. Whisk together thoroughly.
- Transfer drained cucumbers into bowl with dressing. Toss to coat. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for about 30 minutes to allow flavors to mingle.
- Place cucumbers in serving bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Chef's Note:
- In place of seasoned rice vinegar you can use plain rice vinegar and add an extra pinch of salt and sugar to the dressing.
Per Serving: 29 calories; 1.4 g fat; 3.5 g carbohydrates; 1.3 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 530 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 13
I had no idea what an English Cucumber was ... had seen them, but never tried them. I have tried many of Chef John's recipes. And have always enjoyed them ... so I decided to try this one. I f...
LOVE IT! The traditionally Asian ingredients of the dressing give this salad a unique personality and the smashing technique really IS fun! A great change from sour cream-and-dill-based cucumber...
I have made smashed cucumbers before, but I used cumin, lime and cilantro to season them. This version was pretty tasty as well. I served these to accompany Chinese carry out. They were good en...
What a yummy salad! If you like cucumbers this salad is a must! I especially like the addition of the crushed peppers, add as much or as little, according to your taste. Thank you Chef John!
this was absolutely delicious.. we made this with a regular cucumber and unseasoned rice vinegar.. i'm not sure if smashing did much of anything but we felt letting the cucumber drain with sugar...
I have made this several times and each time its a hit. Be careful with the sesame oil, its very potent and too much can ruin the dish. I cut it down to 3/4 tsp. and I add a little extra swee...
I was skeptical at first but we loved Chef John's shaved asparagus salad so I thought what the heck, I'll smash a cucumber. It is very good. The cucumber stays crispy and there is just a tin...
Loved it except I put too much crushed red pepper. Even the kids liked it. Did an hour first and then 30 minutes with dressing.