Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 13 m servings 250 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Cut asparagus stalks into 1-inch pieces; reserve tips in a bowl.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1/3 cup chicken broth and leeks; cover and cook until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add asparagus stalks; cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour remaining 4 2/3 cups chicken broth into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until asparagus is very tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add 2 packed cups spinach and sugar; cook until spinach is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Puree soup with an immersion blender until very smooth.
- Heat remaining 3 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Whisk in flour until well blended; cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk flour mixture into the pureed soup until smooth and blended. Season soup with salt and white pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and stir in peas. Simmer until peas are barely tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in asparagus tips; simmer until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Pour heavy cream into the soup. Cook until heated through but not boiling, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in remaining spinach; cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Use frozen peas instead of fresh if desired.
Per Serving: 250 calories; 18 g fat; 17.9 g carbohydrates; 7.3 g protein; 57 mg cholesterol; 1001 mg sodium. Full nutrition