Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 15 m servings 458
Original recipe yields 16 servings (2 loaves)
- Soak currants and raisins in a bowl of warm water for 30 minutes. Drain and pat dry with paper towels; stir in candied peel.
- Sift flour and cinnamon into a large bowl. Make a well in the center of the flour. Add yeast and sugar to the well; pour in 1/4 cup lukewarm water. Let stand until yeast begins to foam, about 5 minutes.
- Stir remaining 3/4 cup lukewarm water, milk, eggs, and salt into the flour mixture until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Add currant mixture; knead until evenly incorporated and dough is smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until doubled, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Grease two 9x5-inch loaf pans lightly with butter. Flatten dough gently and shape into 2 loaves. Place 1 loaf in each pan and cover with a damp cloth. Let rise in a warm place until puffy, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Bake loaves in the preheated oven until firm and dark brown, about 45 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing, about 1 hour.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute 4 ounces fresh yeast for the active dry if preferred.
- Substitute sultanas for the raisins if desired.
- If you decide to halve the recipe, bake the bread for 30 minutes instead of 45.
Per Serving: 458 calories; 2.8 101 11.7 26 172 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This was horrible! Structurally, it was sound but had no flavour at all. It was so bland, it was inedible. I know the Dutch like things flou, but this was too much. Blahh!