Fries Suikerbrood (Frisian Sugar Bread)
2 made it | 0 reviews |
"This Frisian sugar bread recipe is native to the Dutch province of Friesland. It's softer than a cloud with a stunning marbling of cinnamon-coated pearl sugar clusters throughout. This loaf is easy to make, authentic, and absolutely heavenly served warm straight from the oven. Alternatively, cool fully for a firmer texture."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 338
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 loaf)
- Combine milk, 1 tablespoon sugar, and yeast in a small bowl. Let stand until yeast is frothy, about 10 minutes.
- Whisk egg in a small bowl. Place 1 tablespoon in a separate bowl; reserve for glazing.
- Sift flour into a large bowl; mix in salt. Add yeast mixture, beaten egg, 2 tablespoons ginger syrup, and 1 1/2 tablespoon melted butter. Knead until a smooth dough forms.
- Grease a large bowl with 1 teaspoon oil. Place dough in the greased bowl. Cover with a clean dish towel and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Grease a 2-pound disposable loaf pan with remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Sprinkle remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and ginger syrup over the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Mix pearl sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter, and cinnamon together in a bowl.
- Roll dough into a rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Sprinkle 1/2 of the pearl sugar mixture on top; knead until evenly incorporated. Roll out again and add remaining pearl sugar mixture; knead until evenly incorporated.
- Shape dough into a loaf; place seam-side down in the prepared pan. Cover with a damp cloth and let rise until puffy, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Brush top of loaf with reserved beaten egg.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 30 minutes. Cool slightly in the pan before slicing, about 10 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Note:
- It is preferable to use a disposable aluminum foil loaf pan instead of a regular pan to avoid the sugar doing any damage. Try searching online. However, in a pinch, line your loaf pan with foil to protect it.
Per Serving: 338 calories; 7.1 62 6.8 37 344 Full nutrition