Stoofperen met Rode Wijn (Red Wine-Poached Pears)
"A simple, but delicious recipe for poached pears in red wine. You only need a handful of ingredients. You can eat the pears as a dessert, warm or cold, but in the Netherlands we traditionally eat stewed pears as a side dish for Christmas. I prefer them cold."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 379
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Place pears in a saucepan. Add sugar, orange peel, and cinnamon stick. Pour in red wine to cover pears completely. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer gently until pears are soft and deep red in color, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Transfer pears to a serving plate using a slotted spoon. Serve the pears warm or cold.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Pear varieties: In the Netherlands, the Gieser Wildeman pear variety is a good choice for this recipe, and they can sometimes be found in the UK. For a local choice, simply choose the firmest pears you can find. The Williams variety can be a great choice.
- You can leave pears whole, with the stems on, for a more festive preparation.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of red wine. The actual amount of red wine consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 379 calories; 0.3 62.8 1 0 10 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2