Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 636
Original recipe yields 6 servings (1 7-inch layer cake)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease two 7-inch cake pans and line with parchment paper.
- Sift self-rising flour into a bowl; add sugar, margarine, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Crack in eggs. Beat with a wooden spoon or an electric mixer until pale and fluffy. Divide batter between the cake pans; smooth the tops with the back of a spoon.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Invert onto a wire rack to cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- Sift confectioners' sugar into a bowl; add butter and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract. Beat with an electric mixer until frosting is light and fluffy.
- Spread raspberry jam over 1 cake layer. Cover jam with frosting. Place second cake layer on top.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- I always use margarine; butter is too heavy.
- Substitute strawberry jam for the raspberry jam if preferred.
- Eggs can vary a lot in size. For best results, weigh the eggs. They will more than likely weigh over or under 6 ounces. Use equal amounts of flour, sugar, and margarine.
Per Serving: 636 calories; 32.9 80 6.3 113 714 Full nutrition
How can I make my cakes moist?
Why do my cakes fall?
My cakes do not rise evenly – they are tall in the middle, and slope down to the sides. What am I doing wrong?
Ask Your Question
ReviewsRead all reviews 2