Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 337 cals
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk egg yolks and water together in a small bowl.
- Combine egg yolk mixture, flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, butter, white sugar, vanilla extract, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl; beat with an electric mixer on low speed until dough comes together.
- Press dough evenly into the bottom of a 9x13-inch baking pan. Scatter chocolate chips over dough.
- Beat egg whites in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl, using clean beaters, until foamy. Gradually add remaining 1 cup brown sugar, continuing to beat until stiff peaks form. Spread beaten egg whites over chocolate chips.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is lightly golden and edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool completely before cutting into squares, about 30 minutes.
Per Serving: 337 calories; 16.4 g fat; 47.4 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 51 mg cholesterol; 212 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
these were a favorite for my brothers and sisters when growing up. Best cookie bar ever!
I didn't make the cookies myself, but I sure did eat them. In addition to the sheer deliciousness, I loved all the different textures you get in every bite. So good!
This was a really unique cookie and it was well received at a gathering. I, too, reduced the amount of sugar. I also added a mix of white and brown sugars to the meringue to help it whip up to a...
i decided to try this recipe based on a fellow Allstar's review. I did tweak the recipe a bit based on her comments, which i think worked out great in the end. I cut the sugars in half, and ad...