Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 30 m servings 526
Original recipe yields 10 servings
- Mix rye flour, whole wheat flour, 1 teaspoon ground pepper, 1 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, garlic powder, and basil in a large resealable plastic bag. Add beef to the bag a handful at a time, tossing to coat.
- Transfer beef to a large slow cooker. Add remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon caraway seeds, crushed tomatoes, onion, salt, and garlic. Pour in beer.
- Cover and cook on Low for 3 to 4 hours.
- Stir stew. Mix in frozen carrot mixture, green bell pepper, tomato paste, mushrooms, beef broth, gravy mix, hot sauce, and sugar.
- Cover and cook on Low until beef is tender and flavors combine, about 4 hours more. Season with remaining 1 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can also make this using lamb, deer, elk, or bison. Use chicken broth for a lighter flavor.
- Substitute 6 ounces fresh mushrooms for the canned if desired. You can substitute blue agave nectar for the sugar if desired.
- The more caraway you add, the richer the beer base with be, so if you love the taste of a porter, add more caraway and all rye flour.
- To save time, you can cook on High for 2 hours at the end.
Per Serving: 526 calories; 27.9 25.5 40.9 118 1779 Full nutrition