Easy Gumbo (Okra Soup)
made it | 0 reviews |
"This is not your typical Southern gumbo. The inspiration comes from somewhere else. There are different variations of the same kind of food all over the world. This one is inspired by West African okra soup, but is also closer to the Southern gumbo variation. Serve with polenta, semolina, or even rice."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients48 m servings 327 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Heat vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until slightly softened, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in grape tomatoes; cook until they begin to release their juices, about 2 minutes. Stir in tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Cover and cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Add water, okra pods, red pepper flakes, chicken bouillon, salt, and curry powder.
- Return saucepan to medium heat; simmer soup for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and stir in shredded chicken. Simmer until okra is soft and chicken is heated through, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute 1 tomato for the grape tomatoes if preferred.
- Substitute 1/2 cube chicken bouillon for the granules if preferred.
Per Serving: 327 calories; 20.1 g fat; 18 g carbohydrates; 21 g protein; 55 mg cholesterol; 1489 mg sodium. Full nutrition