Chef John's Clotted Cream
Ingredients20 h 5 m servings 411
- Preheat oven to 175 to 180 degrees F (80 degrees C).
- Pour cream into shallow glass or ceramic baking dish (an 8- or 9-inch square pan is ideal). Cream should be about 1 1/2 to 2 inches deep.
- Place dish in preheated oven. Bake 12 hours. Do not stir. Carefully remove from oven and let cool to room temperature. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight or until completely chilled.
- Turn over a corner of the top layer of thickened cream; carefully pour liquid underneath into a container to use for baking.
- Pack the thickened (clotted) cream into a ceramic crock or canning jar. Cover and refrigerate up to 5 days.
- Chef's Note:
- This works best with good quality cream, preferably from grass-fed cows with a fat content of between 36% to 40%. Avoid anything that says "ultra-pasteurized," since it's been heat-treated, and you'll not get the same results.
- Most modern ovens go down as low as 175-180 degrees F (80 degrees C), which is ideal for this technique. 200 degrees F (95 degrees C) will work, but maybe check after 10 hours, and see how things look.
Per Serving: 411 calories; 44 3.3 2.4 163 45 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 19
Ambrosial. This was SO great. I made it for Mother's Day and served it with scones and blackcurrant jam. When I pulled it out of the fridge a day later, it was solid, like butter, so be sure to ...
This is a standard recipe for clotted cream which I have made many times. I have used ultra-pasteurized cream (by mistake) and it works just fine. The lactose caramelizes delectably overnight. ...
I had never tried clotted cream before, but had to prepare a menu around the book, Anna and the King of Siam, for a library fund raiser. My savory was a Thai dish, and my sweet was fresh scones,...
I have to admit I had my doubts about this recipe, baking it in the oven as well. I followed this recipe to a 'T' and both my husband and I were pleasantly surprised at how great it tasted. John...
Decadent and delicious. I have to admit I was worried about cooking it on such a low temp for so long, but it turned out amazing. I love simple recipes that have amazing results! Thank you Chef ...