Ragout de Pattes de Cochon (Pork Shank and Meatball Stew)
made it | 0 reviews |
"Rich stew from a French recipe."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 27 m servings 632 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Mix sea salt, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, nutmeg, and garlic salt together in a bowl. Rub salt mixture all over pork shanks.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large saucepan. Cook pork shanks in the hot oil until browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Pour in enough water to cover the shanks. Stir in coarsely chopped onion and celery. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until pork can be easily removed from the bones, 2 to 3 hours.
- Transfer pork shanks to a cutting board; shred pork.
- Strain cooking liquid, discarding bones, onion, and celery. Pour strained liquid back into the saucepan. Stir in shredded pork.
- Mix ground pork, finely chopped onion, parsley, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ginger, mustard powder, salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper together in a large bowl. Shape into balls.
- Pour toasted flour into a shallow dish. Roll meatballs in toasted flour.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook meatballs in batches until browned, about 1 minute per side.
- Stir browned meatballs into the shredded pork stew. Simmer, stirring in leftover toasted flour, until meatballs are no longer pink in the center and stew is thick, about 30 minutes.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of celery and onion. The actual amount of celery and onion consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 632 calories; 40.8 g fat; 16.4 g carbohydrates; 48.8 g protein; 148 mg cholesterol; 2193 mg sodium. Full nutrition