Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip
Ingredients3 h 10 m servings 362
- Place garlic, lemon grass (bruised and chopped--see note), grated gingerroot, grated onion, fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer tri tip roast to marinade. Poke both sides of the roast numerous times with the tines of a fork to get the marinade into the roast. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 to 12 hours. During the marinade time, remove the meat from the fridge occasionally to turn and poke some more with a fork.
- Transfer roast to a paper-towel-lined tray to drain briefly. Reserve marinade.
- Preheat covered grill to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly oil the grate.
- Cook roast covered, over indirect heat, basting with marinade and turning occasionally. Cook about 35 to 45 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 to 135 degrees F (54 degrees C). Transfer roast to a cutting board and let rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- Place any remaining marinade in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 or 2 minutes. You can use this as a serving sauce.
- Chef's Notes:
- To prepare the lemon grass, peel off the woodiest parts. Pound with the back of a knife, then chop.
- Most big city grocery stores carry lemon grass, but in other parts of the country, I've seen it sold as a tubed puree, displayed in the produce department. If you can't find it, you can add some lemon juice and zest to adjust.
- You can grill, smoke, or roast the tri tip roast to an internal temperature of 130 to 135 degrees F (54 degrees C).
- You can also serve this with a Peanut Dipping Sauce.
Per Serving: 362 calories; 15.5 14.9 39.4 132 1281 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
I confess that every once in a while when I see the very large amounts of spices in a Chef John recipe, I get a little fearful. No problems here, I made this exactly as on the recipe, except use...
this was absolutely delicious! i used the marinade on jumbo chicken wings and bf cooked them up on the grill.. this is definitely a do over! i hate prepping lemon grass so i used lemon grass pur...
This recipe is AMAZING! thankfully I doubled the amounts of everything so there would be extra and I can't wait to try it out in a stir fry or even marinade some chicken thighs. we love chef joh...
Absolutely delicious! Made it exactly as the recipe stated. Couldn't believe how tender the meat was. Yum!
Delicious, moist, tangy, flavorful. I haven't liked beef tip since middle school where they served some tripe they called beef tips that wasn't even good enough for my dog. The all-day-marinade ...
Amazing dish , all my guest said lol this is not Carrabas and Olive garden !!!!! Man was it good!!! Thank you chef John! Rene & Karen Sarasota, FL
My man tweaked the instructions a touch, but not the ingredients. The beef tri-tip turned out Great. Served with a side of potato, turnip and chive mash!