Thai-Dipped Beef Tri Tip
Ingredients3 h 10 m servings 362
- Place garlic, lemon grass (bruised and chopped--see note), grated gingerroot, grated onion, fish sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cayenne pepper, brown sugar, and vegetable oil in a large mixing bowl. Whisk until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
- Transfer tri tip roast to marinade. Poke both sides of the roast numerous times with the tines of a fork to get the marinade into the roast. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate 2 to 12 hours. During the marinade time, remove the meat from the fridge occasionally to turn and poke some more with a fork.
- Transfer roast to a paper-towel-lined tray to drain briefly. Reserve marinade.
- Preheat covered grill to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Lightly oil the grate.
- Cook roast covered, over indirect heat, basting with marinade and turning occasionally. Cook about 35 to 45 minutes, depending on how hot your grill is. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 130 to 135 degrees F (54 degrees C). Transfer roast to a cutting board and let rest at least 20 minutes before slicing.
- Place any remaining marinade in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Simmer for 1 or 2 minutes. You can use this as a serving sauce.
- Chef's Notes:
- To prepare the lemon grass, peel off the woodiest parts. Pound with the back of a knife, then chop.
- Most big city grocery stores carry lemon grass, but in other parts of the country, I've seen it sold as a tubed puree, displayed in the produce department. If you can't find it, you can add some lemon juice and zest to adjust.
- You can grill, smoke, or roast the tri tip roast to an internal temperature of 130 to 135 degrees F (54 degrees C).
- You can also serve this with a Peanut Dipping Sauce.
Per Serving: 362 calories; 15.5 14.9 39.4 132 1281 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
I confess that every once in a while when I see the very large amounts of spices in a Chef John recipe, I get a little fearful. No problems here, I made this exactly as on the recipe, except use...
this was absolutely delicious! i used the marinade on jumbo chicken wings and bf cooked them up on the grill.. this is definitely a do over! i hate prepping lemon grass so i used lemon grass pur...
Absolutely delicious! Made it exactly as the recipe stated. Couldn't believe how tender the meat was. Yum!
Amazing dish , all my guest said lol this is not Carrabas and Olive garden !!!!! Man was it good!!! Thank you chef John! Rene & Karen Sarasota, FL
My man tweaked the instructions a touch, but not the ingredients. The beef tri-tip turned out Great. Served with a side of potato, turnip and chive mash!