made it | 0 reviews |
"This dish, made with chicken, kielbasa, and potatoes, takes its inspiration from the famous fish stew of the South of France and contains all the classic seasonings, including saffron. An expensive spice, saffron is essential to this dish. The best comes from Spain. I've also added a little tarragon at the end. Although not absolutely necessary, tarragon has a slight anise taste that complements the other seasonings. To reinforce its flavor, I add a splash of Pernod® or Ricard® at the last minute, although this ingredient is optional too."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 937 cals
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Combine onion, celery, carrot, 1 tablespoon olive oil, chopped garlic, lemon zest, 3/4 teaspoon salt, pepper, saffron, fennel seeds, and herbes de Provence in a bowl; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover bowl and refrigerate until flavors combine, at least 15 minutes.
- Transfer chicken mixture to a stainless steel pot; add potatoes, tomatoes, water, and white wine. Cover and bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer for 25 minutes. Add sausage and cook for 5 minutes. Stir tarragon and liqueur into pot.
- Remove half of a cooked potato and 1/4 cup liquid from the pot and place in a food processor; add peeled garlic, paprika, and cayenne pepper. Process until smooth, about 10 seconds. Add egg yolk and keep processor running; pour in 1/2 cup olive oil slowly until incorporated and rouille is smooth. Season with salt.
- Serve bouillabaisse in warmed soup plates with a spoonful of rouille drizzled on top.
- Cook's Note:
- Chives or parsley can be used in place of the tarragon.
- Editor's Note:
- From "Poulets and Legumes: My Favorite Chicken and Vegetable Recipes" (2016) by Jacques Pepin. Reproduced by permission of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt/Rux Martin Books. All rights reserved.
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of rouille. The actual amount of rouille consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 937 calories; 60.9 g fat; 55.5 g carbohydrates; 35.3 g protein; 171 mg cholesterol; 1222 mg sodium. Full nutrition