Persian Lentil Stew
Persian Spice Elevator
Ingredients2 h 21 m servings 268
- Place lentils in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak for 10 to 15 minutes. Drain.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add carrots, celery, onion, and garlic; cook and stir until lightly golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in paprika, turmeric, salt, red pepper flakes, cinnamon, and pepper. Add lentils and olive oil; cook and stir until lentils are coated with oil, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour beef broth into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Simmer, adding boiling water as lentils absorb the broth to maintain a stew consistency, about 20 minutes. Stir in spinach, lime juice, green onions, and beef bouillon cubes. Continue simmering until lentils are soft, about 1 hour.
- Serve stew topped with spoonfuls of yogurt and fresh parsley.
- Cook's Notes:
- Soaking the lentils is not essential but it does help them cook faster.
- Omit beef bouillon cubes for a vegetarian recipe; use vegetarian broth instead of beef broth.
Per Serving: 268 calories; 6.3 39.2 16.1 4 1386 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
I made the dish as per the recipe. While making it I wondered if what was called for would be too much. Spice/seasonings calls for tablespoons, which seemed alot. I like spice so made it as sta...
I liked it. I was a little worried, as the smell of cinnamon was overpowering during cooking, but the taste is fine. A little salty, and a little bitter, but I blame it on my beef broth and my o...