Nazook (Sweet Persian Pastry)
3 made it | 0 reviews |
"Nazook is a rich Persian pastry which is not too sweet, and wonderful with tea or coffee. I developed this version while trying to reproduce a commercial product from a bakery in Salem, OR. I think mine is much better. This is definitely not for people who are watching their fat intake."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients3 h 40 m servings 336
Original recipe yields 30 servings
- Mix 1 cup sour cream, 2 teaspoons sugar, and yeast together in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Mix in egg, vinegar, and oil.
- Pour 3 cups flour into a large bowl. Cut in 1/2 cup butter, working it into the flour until mixture is the consistency of meal. Stir in sour cream mixture until dough comes together.
- Turn dough out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 10 minutes. Cut dough into 4 pieces and wrap each piece in plastic wrap. Refrigerate until firm, at least 2 hours and up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix melted butter, 2 1/2 cups sugar, and vanilla extract together in a very large bowl to make filling. Stir in 4 cups flour. Beat in egg whites.
- Roll a piece of dough into an 8x12-inch rectangle on a lightly floured work surface. Crumble 1/4 of the filling mixture on top, leaving a 1/2-inch border on the long sides. Cover filling with plastic wrap; flatten out with a rolling pin. Roll dough into a tight roll, starting with one of the long sides.
- Cut roll into 2-inch pieces at a slight angle. Arrange pieces on a rimmed baking sheet. Push tops down gently to flatten slightly. Repeat with remaining 3 pieces of dough and filling.
- Whisk egg yolks and yogurt together to make glaze. Brush glaze over pieces of dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes. Let cool before serving, about 15 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- I have kept these in the refrigerator for up to 1 week, warming them slightly in the microwave before eating. I'm sure they would also freeze just fine. I have also assembled just 1 or 2 pieces of dough at a time, leaving the rest of the dough and filling in the fridge for a few days, until I was ready to bake more.
- Substitute sour cream for the yogurt in the glaze if desired.
Per Serving: 336 calories; 18.1 39.7 4.1 63 120 Full nutrition