Florentine Caramelized Onion Soup
Ingredients3 h 15 m servings 528
- In a large heavy pot, heat oil over medium heat. Cut onions in half lengthwise, then slice thinly. Place sliced onions in pot and toss to coat with oil. Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are softened and beginning to color, 30 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium and cook, stirring occasionally, uncovered, until onions are amber in color, 45 minutes.
- Sprinkle onions with sugar and a little bit of salt; cook, stirring, until sugar melts and onions are caramel colored, 5 minutes. Pour in wine and broth, and place cinnamon stick in pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat, cover and simmer 1 hour.
- Stir the bread into the soup and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally until the bread disintegrates, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon stick. Whisk the soup to incorporate the bread. Adjust seasoning. Serve hot.
Per Serving: 528 calories; 11.2 75.2 12.4 0 470 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
This was so good! It took a long time to actaully cook, but it only took about 10 minutes to prepare! And then you just simmer it and forget it! It was good!
Great recipe...I added only half the wine and in addition at the end of cooking time some Gruyere cheese as a topping for the finished soup. This is authentic and wonderful.
Made EXACTLY as stated. I'm sorry to rate this so low, but it was we did not care for it, and we could not eat it. My husband and teenaged sons who are quite adventurous when it comes to food a...