Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 36 m servings 225
Original recipe yields 40 servings (5 loaves)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease five 8x4-inch baking pans.
- Combine brown sugar, coconut, flour, raisins, fruit peel, cherries, baking powder, mixed essence, and nutmeg in a large bowl using a large wooden spoon.
- Combine margarine and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl; heat in microwave until melted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pour melted mixture into flour mixture, alternating with milk, until batter is just mixed. Add water, a teaspoon at a time, if more moisture is needed.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking pans, smoothing the tops with the back of a wet spoon. Sprinkle white sugar over each loaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick or skewer inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes. Invert onto cooking racks.
Per Serving: 225 calories; 10.4 33.5 1 < 1 267 Full nutrition