0 made it | 0 reviews |
"Dahl puri is an East Indian-style flatbread stuffed with delicious seasoned yellow split peas. This bread is popular in both Suriname and Guyana, and the local scotch bonnet chile pepper gives it a touch of Caribbean flavor. This bread is often served with curry dishes, such as aloo curry (curried potatoes), another Indian dish that is popular in the Caribbean. I have always loved this dish growing up and still do. Brush roti with melted butter before serving, if desired."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 33 m servings 220
Original recipe yields 10 servings (10 6 to 8-inch rotis)
- Bring chicken stock and yellow split peas to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat and simmer until split peas are soft, about 20 minutes. Drain and let cool, about 15 minutes.
- Combine yellow split peas, scotch bonnet chile pepper, garlic, turmeric, and cumin in a food processor; blend until filling is finely ground.
- Combine flour and 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in a large bowl. Pour in water slowly, stirring constantly, until dough starts to come together. Add a little more water if dough seems dry.
- Knead dough on a floured work surface until soft and no longer sticky. Let dough rest for 10 minutes, covered with a damp cloth.
- Roll dough into a large circle about 1/4-inch thick. Brush 1 teaspoon vegetable oil over the surface of the dough. Roll up into a long roll. Cut into 10 pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a 6-inch circle. Let circles rest, covered with damp cloth, for 5 minutes.
- Divide filling among circles. Wrap dough around filling, pinching edges to seal; roll into balls. Roll each ball back out into a large, thin circle.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large skillet. Cook 1 piece of dough in the hot skillet until it puffs up and turns light brown, about 2 minutes. Flip and continue cooking until second side is browned, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a colander to cool; cover with a damp cloth. Repeat with remaining oil and dough.
- Cook's Note:
- Roti can be reheated just like tortillas: in a low oven, wrapped in foil, or in the microwave covered with a damp cloth.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of chicken stock. The actual amount of chicken stock consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 220 calories; 4.8 35.8 8.2 1 593 Full nutrition