Ingredients5 h 15 m servings 358 cals
- Cut cauliflower into medium-sized florets and process in batches in a food processor. For each batch, pulse until pieces break down and continue processing until texture resembles rice grains. Transfer to a large pot. Sprinkle with kosher salt. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring, until mixture is wet and soft, about 30 minutes. Reduce heat if it begins to brown. Remove from heat and allow cauliflower to cool.
- Transfer cauliflower in batches to a clean cotton towel. Bring up sides, twist towel, and squeeze out as much liquid as you can. For this recipe, you should have about 3 1/2 cups cooked, squeezed-dry cauliflower.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a large rectangular baking dish with parchment paper, allowing ends to extend up over the sides for easy lifting. Lightly brush parchment with olive oil.
- Crack eggs into a large mixing bowl. Add crushed garlic, oregano, pepper, and cayenne pepper; whisk together. Transfer cauliflower to mixing bowl. Add shredded Cheddar cheese and grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Mix thoroughly. Transfer to prepared baking dish. Tamp down and smooth out evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven until deeply golden brown, about 1 hour. Allow to cool to room temperature. Cover and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled, 3 or 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a silicone mat; lightly oil the mat.
- Lift cauliflower out of pan. Slice in half lengthwise; slice each half crosswise into thin "fries," about 1 inch wide. Arrange fries on the mat so they do not touch; brush lightly with olive oil. Sprinkle with a dusting of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven until deeply browned, about 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.
Per Serving: 358 calories; 17.9 g fat; 32.2 g carbohydrates; 24.4 g protein; 129 mg cholesterol; 1930 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
Chef John.... you made me LOL!! Several. Times. Thanks for saving me a lot of time and effort.!
This rating is for the video not the fries. One of my favorite Chef John videos. The man is human.
I didn't make this but had to give it a star just to send in this review! Listening to the "how-to" video was worth the time! Thanks for making me laugh and for the honest review.