Ingredients28 m servings 260
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F (245 degrees C). Line a sheet pan with aluminum foil. Brush with 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Carefully remove shells and legs of prawns; leave the tail attached. To butterfly the prawns, cut a slit with a small sharp knife lengthwise down the belly side of shrimp, almost to the skin on the back. Open out like a book.
- Place chopped garlic, large pinch kosher salt, oregano, and thyme in a mortar; pound and stir with a pestle a few seconds. Add 1 tablespoon fresh parsley. Pound and stir mixture until it turns into a paste, 1 or 2 minutes. Add 1/3 cup olive oil; mix about 1 minute to infuse olive oil with herbs and garlic.
- Place bread crumbs in a mixing bowl. Transfer herb-garlic mixture to breadcrumbs. Add a pinch of salt, black pepper, pinch cayenne, remaining chopped parsley, and grated cheese. Mix with a fork to distribute ingredients evenly. Pinch a bit of the mixture; if it feels a bit dry and doesn't stick to your finger, drizzle in a bit more olive oil. Stir until mixture reaches desired consistency. 2 to 3 minutes.
- Lightly but thoroughly coat cut side of prawns with crumb mixture; place on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until cooked through and tails curl up, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Chef's Note:
- You can serve these prawns with any number of dips or just a squeeze of fresh lemon. I like them with lemon aioli.
Per Serving: 260 calories; 13.8 10.6 22.4 177 476 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 8
Chef john is right. Butterflying those prawns is a PAIN. I don’t have a mortar so I put my garlic and herbs in a plastic bag and pressed and rocked the flat side of my meat tenderizer over the...
These were EXCELLENT! I followed the recipe exactly as described. Wouldn't change a thing. My kids couldn't get enough. Thanks Chef!
I have made this several times now and it is just DELICIOUS! when I'm feeling lazy I don't butterfly the shrimp and just coat them whole. Works just as good and saves a ton of time!
We love this recipe and it will definitely become a family favorite. Tasty and healthy
I made these last night with BC spot prawns. Great flavour. They looked impressive and tasted the same.
I used this for shrimp as well as fish. I coated the fish with mayonnaise and then put breading on it. Also added fresh rosemary. Super good!!!