Ingredients2 h 6 m servings 371
- Mix cinnamon, cumin, turmeric, coriander, ginger, mint, salt, and pepper together in a bowl. Measure out 1/2 cup spice mix and set the remaining aside for another use.
- Bring a small pot of water to a boil; add apricots and raisins. Cook until fruit is soft, about 5 minutes. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup of cooking water.
- Pour enough olive oil into a large skillet or Dutch oven to coat the bottom; turn heat to medium. Coat chicken with the 1/2 cup spice mix and place in the hot oil; cook until golden brown and releases easily from the skillet, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Mix onion and garlic into skillet with chicken; cook and stir until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Add apricots, raisins, reserved 1/2 cup water from fruit, chicken broth, and honey; reduce heat to low and cover. Cook until chicken is very tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
- Serve chicken garnished with cilantro and almonds.
- Cook's Notes:
- Bone-in chicken breasts or chicken legs can be used in place of the thighs.
- For a lighter version use boneless, skinless chicken breast or tenders. Be careful when browning, as they have a tendency to stick to the pan. You may also skip the browning and add the chicken after you saute the garlic and onions. Also, if making this version cut the cooking time in half (45 minutes to 1 hour).
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of Moroccan spice mix. The actual amount of spice mix consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 371 calories; 20.4 35.8 15.4 44 1375 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Such a great recipe. I caramelized the onions for about 30 minutes before browning the chicken for a richer flavor, added half the honey, and used parsley instead of cilantro. A major crowd-plea...
Absolutely delicious! Family loved it! Made it twice. I didn’t have cilantro. It was the only ingredient missing. Will make it again!