Barbecued Pulled Pork with Sweet & Sour Slaw
Ball Park Buns
Ingredients9 h 25 m servings 806 cals
- To make rub, combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well with a fork. Reserve 1/4 cup of the rub to use in the barbecue sauce.
- To make sauce, combine all ingredients in a large Mason jar, stirring well. Cover with tight-fitting lid and give it one more good shake. Place in refrigerator overnight.
- Place pork rub in a large casserole dish.
- Using a fork, pierce the pork several times all over.
- Rub the spice blend into the pork, covering all surfaces.
- Wrap rubbed pork tightly in plastic and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- At cooking time, unwrap the pork and place in a slow-cooker.
- Pour 1 cup of the Barbecue Sauce on the pork, covering all surfaces.
- Cover and cook until tender, 9 to 11 hours on Low or 5 to 7 hours on High.
- Transfer pork to a large, deep, wide casserole dish and cool for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Using two large forks, shred the pork into bite-size pieces, discarding excess fat. Cover to keep warm.
- Skim any fat from the liquid in the pot. Transfer 2 to 3 tablespoons to a bowl and stir in the remaining barbecue sauce.
- Stir well and add more of the braising liquid if you prefer a thinner sauce.
- Warm buns in the oven at 400 degrees, turning over once, just until slightly toasty.
- Pile pulled pork onto buns, top with some of the Barbecue Sauce and some Tangy Slaw (recipe below) and enjoy.
- For the slaw: In a large bowl, whisk together vinegar, oil, brown sugar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Add cabbage, carrots, cucumber and parsley, mixing well.
- Allow to sit, loosely covered with plastic, for about 30 minutes.
- Toss once before serving, adjusting seasonings, if desired.
- When you apply rub to the pork, place the pork butt in a big casserole dish for easy clean up.
Per Serving: 806 calories; 26.5 g fat; 114.4 g carbohydrates; 35.5 g protein; 96 mg cholesterol; 1781 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 5
I had never had coleslaw in my pulled pork sandwiches and I don't think I will ever again. Or maybe it was because I didn't care for this coleslaw. I left the cucumbers out and I used green cabb...
The pork turned out perfect! I have enough of that foodsavered to keep for another meal. We have always used cole slaw with pulled pork sandwiches, but we didn't care for the dressing that cam...
The Pork was amazing and I will make that again! We like the coleslaw better on the side but we tried it both ways. I added a jalapeno to both the pork and the coleslaw and it added a little zi...
While certainly easy to make, this recipe was not a huge success in our house. The pork itself was delicious, but no one cared for the slaw. I will most likely make the pork recipe again, but ...