Grilled Brats with Quick-Cooked Cabbage
Ball Park Buns
Ingredients40 m servings 790
- Prick each brat with the tip of a knife a few times on each side.
- In a large skillet, place brats and add water and beer to the pan to reach halfway up the sides of the brats.
- Cook over medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes, turning once.
- Increase heat to medium-high and cook another 5 to 10 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Remove sausages to a plate to hold.
- Add olive oil, onion and red and green cabbage to the pan and stir well, cooking over medium-high heat for 3 minutes.
- Add vinegar, brown sugar and seasonings, stir well and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook for another 5 minutes. Stir once more.
- Meanwhile, warm hot dog buns in a 400-degree oven for about 10 minutes, taking care not to brown.
- Spread mustard on each bun, top with a brat and spoon warm cabbage saute on top.
- You can substitute another cup of water instead of 1 cup beer.
- If you can find a pre-packaged blend of raw red and green cabbage with carrots, that's an ideal time-saver.
Per Serving: 790 calories; 41.6 70.9 27.2 92 1891 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 10
These were delicious! I only made a couple of adjustments to the recipe . . . once the brats were cooked in the beer/water, I threw them on the outdoor grill for a few minutes to brown them up a...
Made this for dinner for the family and it turned out amazing. I did however make a few alterations. In the cooking recipe I did not add any beer. I am allergic to hops so instead I added Wor...
7.29.18 Always have struggled trying to find a bun to fit a bratwurst. It took me five trips to different grocery stores, but I found the Tailgaters buns, and that’s what I’ll now use every t...
What an easy change up from sauerkraut! The cabbage still had a little crunch and also had a nice tang with bite from the spices. I loved these, make sure you use a German mustard too!
Husband and I loved it. Used hoagie rolls, otherwise, made exactly by the recipe.
We loved this Brat recipe. The quick cooked cabbage added both flavor and color. We really liked the mustard with the cabbage and onion mixture. The toasted Tailgater buns by Ballpark held up...
These were delicious! The quick braised cabbage/onion mixture is a great flavor compliment to the brats. The recipe makes quite a bit of cabbage mixture and for us could have probably been red...