Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients2 h 45 m servings 397
Original recipe yields 12 servings
- Mix 4 cups flour, eggs, egg yolks, 2/3 cup white sugar, water, dry yeast, orange zest, lime zest, and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter; mix until dough is elastic and shiny, about 5 minutes.
- Form dough into a ball. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Punch down dough gently; roll into a long cylinder. Join the ends of the cylinder together in the shape of an oval ring. Place ring on a greased baking sheet; cover and let rise in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Whisk eggs whites in a small bowl. Brush egg whites evenly over dough.
- Mix 1/2 cup white sugar and 1/4 cup butter in a small bowl with your fingers to form a paste. Add enough flour to give paste the consistency of Play-Doh(R); divide into 5 or 6 balls. Place each ball between two 3-inch squares of parchment paper. Press with the bottom of a 1-cup measuring cup to make a circle about 1/8 inch thick.
- Space circles evenly around the dough ring. Arrange candied citrus peels on top of the dough.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Cool for 20 minutes before slicing.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Don't worry too much if you do not see much change in the dough, especially in cold climates.
- You do not need to use all 3 egg whites to brush the dough. If your paste is too dry in step 6, you may add 1 teaspoon of egg white.
- Use candied citrus peels in 2 or 3 different colors if available.
Per Serving: 397 calories; 15.5 56.7 8.3 126 138 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2