Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 7 m servings 288 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onions; cook, stirring frequently, until well browned, about 20 minutes. Add garlic; stir constantly for 1 minute. Pour in beef broth, chicken broth, and pale ale. Stir black pepper and bay leaves into the soup.
- Bring soup to a simmer. Cover and simmer until flavors combine, about 30 minutes.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler on low. Spread French bread slices on a baking sheet.
- Broil French bread slices until very lightly toasted, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Divide mozzarella cheese and Parmesan cheese evenly over bread.
- Broil bread until cheeses are bubbly and browned, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top each bowl with a slice of French bread.
- Cook's Note:
- If onions aren't browning well in step 1, add 1 to 2 tablespoons white sugar to help with this.
Per Serving: 288 calories; 7.4 g fat; 42.5 g carbohydrates; 10.3 g protein; 5 mg cholesterol; 1181 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This is the author. You really need to cook the onions till it is a bronze brown colour. If you do not, it will not have a depth of flavour. Spices will not really replace that. Hope that helps!