White Pizza Sauce
Ingredients18 m servings 365
- Heat butter and olive oil in a small saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic until tender and fragrant, about 1 minute. Add flour and whisk until flour is lightly browned and onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mix milk, Parmesan cheese, basil, oregano, salt, and black pepper into onion mixture. Cook, whisking continuously, until cheese is melted and sauce has thickened slightly, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Cook's Notes:
- Mozzarella cheese or 3-cheese Italian cheese blend can be used in place of the Parmesan cheese, if desired.
- Dried basil can be used in place of the fresh basil.
- Add more milk if sauce is too thick in step 2.
Per Serving: 365 calories; 26.6 18.5 13.5 58 730 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 25
This is an excellent recipe. I made it to go on a buffalo cauliflower pizza instead of a red sauce. I made a couple changes to suit my preferences and what I had in the house: Instead of milk I...
Super easy sauce and I would certainly make it again but will double the quantity so I can keep some handy in the freezer. Used it on a pizza with spinach, sun dried tomatoes, portobello mushro...
This was delicious! It's better than white sauce in pizza chains!
Delicious! We used Italian Seasoning instead of just basil and oregano. We used rice flour to make it gluten free. Omitted the black pepper because of allergies.
Just made it tonight.....excellent flavor and texture. I wanted a white sauce under corn, jalapeños, and tomatoes (all from the garden). This was a perfect sauce for those toppings. I will de...
I really like the mix of butter and olive oil for pizza sauce roux. I cut the flour to 2.5 T and used 1 t Italian seasoning in place of the green seasonings. Used about 1/4 c shaved parmesan che...
Tasted absolutely delicious!!! I didn't have fresh basil so I used only 1 table spoon of dried basil. I love the outcome not to thick yet not to runny. I wasnt sure of making this because I ran ...
Really excellent - and so quick and easy. We love white pizza but this was the first time making it at home. I added more garlic and left out the oregano but otherwise followed it exactly - th...