Coconut and Lemon Cream Pie
1 made it | 0 reviews |
"Coconut and lemon are probably my favorite match. This pie has an unexpected shortbread-like crust made with only coconut oil! The result is flaky, crumbly, and delicious. The creamy curd center gets an upgrade using coconut cream! If you serve immediately, the pie will be a bit messier than if you were to chill it for a few hours."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients4 h 52 m servings 809
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 pie)
- Combine flour, coconut oil, 2 tablespoons sugar, and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment; mix until mixture forms large crumbles. Pour in ice water in a steady stream and continue to mix until dough comes together, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer dough to a large sheet of plastic wrap. Form into a disc and wrap tightly. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Press 3/4 of the dough into the bottom of a broiler-safe pie plate.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden brown, about 30 minutes. Let crust cool completely.
- Combine 2 cups sugar, coconut cream, eggs, egg yolks, lemon zest and juice, butter, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until curd thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon, 10 to 12 minutes. Pour into a bowl and refrigerate until set, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar, salt, and cream of tartar in a glass, metal, or ceramic bowl until stiff, glossy peaks form, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Pour chilled curd into the cooled crust. Dollop big spoonfuls of meringue all over the curd.
- Set oven rack about 6 inches from the heat source and preheat the oven's broiler.
- Broil in the preheated oven until meringue is lightly browned, about 2 minutes. Chill pie until set, 3 to 24 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- Freeze leftover dough for a crumble topping for another dessert.
- If you notice curdled bits in the custard, strain it using a fine-mesh strainer. The custard should be smooth and creamy.
Per Serving: 809 calories; 40.4 110.5 8.8 158 152 Full nutrition