Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients56 m servings 119 cals
Original recipe yields 6 servings (6 slices)
- Mix boiling water and ground flax seeds together in a bowl; let sit until thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Combine flax mixture, soy milk, tofu, and nutritional yeast in a blender; blend on high speed until flax has almost disappeared. Add cornstarch while blender is still running and blend until batter is smooth. Pour batter into a bowl and refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.
- Pour some of the batter into a shallow bowl or plate. Dip bread, 1 slice at a time, into the batter until evenly coated.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook each dipped bread slice in the hot oil for 5 minutes; flip and cook the other side until lightly browned, 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Cook's Notes:
- You can skip the oil if using a nonstick skillet or griddle.
- If you do not have vanilla soy milk, add a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of vanilla extract to plain soy milk.
- Nutritional yeast can be found in most health food stores.
- If you are short on time, the flax does not have to be chilled; just cool it a bit before adding to the blender.
- I did not press any water out of my tofu.
Per Serving: 119 calories; 4.6 g fat; 15.6 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 181 mg sodium. Full nutrition