Jackfruit Pulled "Pork"
Ingredients6 h 23 m servings 207 cals
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook and stir onion and garlic until slightly softened, about 3 minutes. Add jackfruit; cook and stir until lightly browned and relatively free of moisture, about 10 minutes.
- Transfer jackfruit mixture to a slow cooker; cover with barbeque sauce. Cook on Low, stirring occasionally, until jackfruit shreds easily with a fork, about 6 hours.
- Cook's Notes:
- You may use jackfruit in brine but it is harder to flavor. Do not use the ripe kind which comes in syrup. If using frozen jackfruit, defrost before using. Rinse to remove all seeds and pods. Squeeze out as much water as possible with your hands.
- Dry rub or marinate the jackfruit in barbeque sauce or seasonings before cooking if you like. This will help if you use the brined version, do not let it sit overnight after cooking, or cook it in a skillet.
- If you don't have a slow cooker, cook jackfruit in a skillet (preferably cast iron) until easily shredded, about 2 hours.
Per Serving: 207 calories; 7.6 g fat; 31.5 g carbohydrates; 0.1 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 1040 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
We really liked it but for my taste I would use less BBQ sauce (I used a whole bottle) add some water and reduce the cooking time. The jack fruit wasn't as meaty as I thought it would be. All in...
Jackfruit is very versatile and this recipe is awesome. Your bbq sauce will make or break the recipe, so use a good one! Served with cole slaw this makes a vegetarian dream sandwich and meat e...
Five gold stars! Cooking jackfruit like this really makes you forget it’s not meat. It tastes like lean pork. The only thing missing is the fat! Like the other reviewers, I suggest adding a bit ...