Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients7 h 44 m servings 403
Original recipe yields 8 servings
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook cabbage in boiling water until outer leaves pull away easily from the head, 3 to 5 minutes. Separate leaves and let cool. Reserve 1 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion and garlic; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in wet rice; cook and stir until moisture evaporates, about 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool, about 5 minutes.
- Mix beef, sausage, and egg together in a large bowl. Stir in cooled rice mixture.
- Place a golfball-sized amount of the beef mixture on the ribbed end of a cabbage leaf; roll up, tucking in the sides. Repeat with remaining beef mixture and cabbage leaves.
- Place rolls seam-side down in a slow cooker. Cover with tomato juice. Pour reserved cooking water on top.
- Cook on High for 30 minutes. Switch to Low and cook for 6 1/2 hours.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute vegetable juice for the tomato juice if desired.
- If cooking on the stove, boil in a large pot for 30 to 45 minutes.
Per Serving: 403 calories; 21.7 30.6 22.4 91 884 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
With a little guidance from my mom and this recipe, it was good. It reminded of my Granny's meals at her home. I didn't use sausage in the meat and rice mixture, but did add Polska kielbasa beca...