Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients31 m servings 124
Original recipe yields 5 servings (25 rounds)
- Combine water, buttermilk, chickpea flour, sugar, 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder, turmeric, and salt in a microwave-safe bowl; beat into a smooth batter with no lumps remaining.
- Cook chickpea mixture in the microwave on high for 90 seconds. Beat mixture to break up any lumps. Repeat 3 times, cooking at 90-second intervals and beating after each interval until mixture is slightly thicker than hummus.
- Spread mixture into 2 thin 12x18-inch sheets on a clean and dry steel, granite, or marble kitchen counter using a palette knife. Let cool, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Cut sheet into 1-inch thick ribbons. Roll up ribbons like a jelly roll.
- Heat peanut oil in a saucepan over low heat. Add mustard seeds; cook until they start to pop, about 30 seconds. Stir in curry leaves and 1 teaspoon asafoetida powder.
- Spoon oil mixture over rolls.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- To test mixture is ready to spread, place a small amount on the back of a dry spoon; let cool. Peel mixture off. If the mixture doesn't peel off easily, microwave for 45 seconds more.
- If half of the mixture dries up while you spread the other half, beat it again and microwave for about 1 minute. Check for peeling consistency (see note above). Lumps will be inevitable but the mixture won't go waste.
Per Serving: 124 calories; 4.6 15.7 5.6 2 86 Full nutrition