Crystallized or Candied Ginger
Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 177
- Cut ginger into 2-inch pieces and slice lengthwise into 1/8-inch slices. Score ginger slices by pricking with a fork.
- Toss ginger with sugar in a bowl.
- Combine ginger-sugar mixture and water in a large skillet or wok; bring to a simmer. Reduce heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until sugar melts into a syrup and starts to crystallize, about 1 hour. Continue stirring until syrup is mostly crystallized and ginger comes together in a pile in the center of the skillet and very little syrup drains out; remove from heat.
- Toss ginger slices gently to cool and separate from excess sugar. Spread slices out on a tray to cool and dry.
- Cook's Note:
- Use leftover sugar in coffee, cookies, or anywhere else that a fresh, clean ginger accent would be nice.
Per Serving: 177 calories; 0.2 45 0.5 0 4 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
I’ve been candying ginger for 40 years. My grandma lived on a farm and made everything including chicken (lol) from scratch.
The recipe calls for 1 Tbsp of water, but I didn’t find that was enough, I was afraid the sugar was just going to burn. I ended up adding 3 Tbsp. The recipe worked out perfect. It took 70 minute...
Oh.My.Gosh. I am in love with crystalized ginger!! My favorite place to get it is at the savory spice shop downtown, but this diy version is just as fantastic. I don't think I'll ever buy this a...