Ingredients35 m servings 238
- Combine water, basmati rice, split mung beans, ginger, coriander, oregano, garlic, cumin, and fennel seeds in a saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, covered, until most of the water is absorbed and the mixture has a smooth consistency, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute vegetable stock for the water if desired.
- Substitute red lentils or split peas for the mung beans if desired. If using whole mung beans or brown lentils, adjust time to 45 minutes and use brown rice instead of white.
- Substitute 1/2 to 1 teaspoon coriander seeds and 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds for the ground coriander and cumin if preferred.
- If you like, as rice and beans are cooking, chop and add veggies such as carrots, zucchini, and broccoli for the last 5 to 10 minutes of cooking. My favorite is to add a cup or so of frozen peas right after it's done cooking and let them heat through.
Per Serving: 238 calories; 1.1 47.5 10.9 0 16 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 4
No changes or additions..your Chef has all the trust and appreciation...
Did not change anything initially, but it turned out Incredibly bland. Had to add tons of seasoning and other herbs to give it any sort of flavor.
I did make changes. I fried I small chopped sweet onion, and added turmeric to the spices. It was delicious.