Tarte Flambee (Alsatian Bacon & Onion Tart)
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients40 m servings 657
Original recipe yields 4 servings (4 tartes flambee)
- Place bacon in a skillet and cook over medium-high heat until cooked but not crisp and fat has rendered out, about 8 minutes. Drain in a strainer; reserve the fat.
- Place skillet back over medium heat. Add sliced onions. Cook briefly just until they lose their raw edge and soften up slightly, 3 to 5 minutes. Add a teaspoon or 2 of bacon fat if pan seems too dry. Remove skillet from heat and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Mix fromage blanc, creme fraiche, nutmeg, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper together in a mixing bowl.
- Place 1 ball of pizza dough on a well-floured surface. Flatten and roll out to a 10- or 12-inch thin circle. Transfer to a cold cast iron pan. Heat over medium-high heat to pre-cook the bottom of the crust. As dough heats and bubbles appear, deflate them with the tines of a fork so crust ends up thin and crisp (not chewy). When bottom is nicely browned and just about to start getting charred, 5 to 7 minutes, remove from heat. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Spread a generous amount of cheese mixture over the crust. Top evenly with some onions and then the bacon. Broil 5 or 6 minutes until edges are browned and starting to lift. Repeat for remaining tartes.
- Chef's Note:
- Once your crust is pre-browned and topped you can finish it under the broiler as I did. Or the other method would be to pop it in a 500 degree F oven, for until it's cooked to your preferred doneness, 7 to 10 minutes. Or, you can actually do both: start it in a hot oven, and then give it a minute under the broiler to seal the deal.
Per Serving: 657 calories; 26.9 71.7 27.7 68 1637 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1