Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 3 m servings 311 cals
Original recipe yields 9 servings
- Combine vegetable oil and flour in a large stockpot over medium heat; cook, stirring often, until roux is dark brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Stir onion, celery, green onion, parsley, and garlic carefully into the hot roux; it may splatter. Cook and stir until onion mixture is tender, about 5 minutes. Pour in broth. Season with salt and red chile pepper. Simmer gumbo, covered, until flavors combine, about 15 minutes.
- Stir shrimp into the stockpot; cook until pink and opaque, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place 1/3 cup rice into each serving bowl. Ladle shrimp gumbo on top. Garnish with fresh parsley.
- Cook's Notes:
- Substitute water for the chicken broth if desired.
- Substitute 2 tablespoons bottled garlic for the fresh garlic cloves if desired.
Per Serving: 311 calories; 13.8 g fat; 25.5 g carbohydrates; 20.5 g protein; 156 mg cholesterol; 887 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
The only change I made to this recipe was to add a can of diced tomatoes. Good recipe with the addition I made.