Nomato Sauce (Tomato-Free Marinara Sauce)
Little Bites of Beauty
Ingredients57 m servings 160
- Combine kabocha squash, carrots, and beet in a food processor; pulse until coarsely grated.
- Heat olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat until sizzling. Add onion, garlic, and sage; cook and stir until onion is fragrant, about 1 minute. Stir in grated kabocha squash mixture, capers, Italian herbs, and salt.
- Pour water into the saucepan. Cover and simmer sauce, adding more water if needed, until kabocha squash mixture is soft, about 30 minutes. Mash mixture with a fork to make sauce smoother.
- Stir lemon juice and basil into the sauce and let flavors combine, about 1 minute.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute 2 tablespoons thinly sliced pitted green olives for the capers if desired.
Per Serving: 160 calories; 4.5 32.1 3.8 0 252 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 2
This is a pretty good sauce whether you are looking for a replacement for tomato sauce or simply want something different. I added the capers and added spicy Italian green olives at the end alon...