Ingredients1 h 25 m servings 424
- Melt butter in soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and salt; cook until leeks begin to wilt. Reduce heat to medium or medium-low and cook until soft and almost pastelike, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Place potatoes in the pot; add chicken broth. Adjust heat so mixture simmers slowly. Cook until potatoes are soft, about 30 minutes. Puree mixture with an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Whisk in heavy cream and creme fraiche. Heat over medium heat. Add more salt, if needed, and cayenne pepper. Do not boil.
- Serve with a drizzle of creme fraiche and a sprinkle of chopped chives.
- Chef's Notes:
- You'll need 1 1/2 pounds of leeks after they've been trimmed. Leave about an inch of the dark green.
- Here's Chef John's recipe for homemade crème fraiche.
Per Serving: 424 calories; 30.5 35.4 5.8 104 1171 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
This turned out wonderful! I added a few cloves of garlic with the leeks. I didn't have crème fraîche therefore substituted with 5% sour cream, make sure the soup doesn't boil after its added ot...
Delicious and easy soup recipe, I will definitely be making this again!
I made exactly as directed and it is oh so delicious and filling, too. I love it hot on a winter's day. It is easy to make, too, especially with an immersion blender. Don't change a thing with ...
If I could give this 6 stars, I totally would. It surpassed my expectations in every way. It's winter here, so I ate it hot. I knew it would be rich, and I was serving it as a starter, so I kept...
Excellent soup, would not change a thing, pair with crusty hard roll or bread!!
Wonderful! Couldn't find creme fraiche, so substituted more half and half and some sour cream. Must add the cayenne. Chives on top added some additional zip. Great way to use leeks.