Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 186
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place squash cut-side down in a baking dish; fill with 1/4 inch of water.
- Bake squash in the preheated oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat chicken broth, basil, marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Scoop flesh from squash into a blender or food processor; add onion and cream cheese. Blend mixture until smooth, working in batches if needed. Mix squash mixture into broth mixture; cook, stirring frequently, until soup is heated through but not boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute shredded fresh basil for the dried, if desired. Substitute summer savory or thyme for the marjoram, if desired.
Per Serving: 186 calories; 11.7 18.8 4.1 36 483 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 22
Great recipe! I had a couple of chicken breasts that I needed to cook so I boiled them in the stock for 20 mins then and shredded it. I added squash, onions and cream cheese directly into my sau...
An immersion blender makes this recipe much easier. The cayenne pepper addition was a bit much - not because I avoid hot/spicy food (the opposite, actually), just throws the dish out of balanc...
Made this soup from our backyard buttercup squash. We followed the recipe and turned out marvelous. It was off the chart good that we shared it with our neighbor. What a great soup in the col...
Great recipe! I froze the left over soup and it tastes great after being reheated.
I forgot to grab cream cheese for this recipe when I was buying the ingredients, so I swirled in a little heavy cream just before serving. This soup is divine! I'll bet it's even better with c...
Making this again for Christmas dinner soup course; it's sooooo delicious!
Made this several times this year and got rave reviews every time. It is now a family favorite. Thank you for this recipe . Delicious!