Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 186
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place squash cut-side down in a baking dish; fill with 1/4 inch of water.
- Bake squash in the preheated oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat chicken broth, basil, marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Scoop flesh from squash into a blender or food processor; add onion and cream cheese. Blend mixture until smooth, working in batches if needed. Mix squash mixture into broth mixture; cook, stirring frequently, until soup is heated through but not boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute shredded fresh basil for the dried, if desired. Substitute summer savory or thyme for the marjoram, if desired.
Per Serving: 186 calories; 11.7 18.8 4.1 36 483 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 15
Great recipe! I had a couple of chicken breasts that I needed to cook so I boiled them in the stock for 20 mins then and shredded it. I added squash, onions and cream cheese directly into my sau...
Made this soup from our backyard buttercup squash. We followed the recipe and turned out marvelous. It was off the chart good that we shared it with our neighbor. What a great soup in the col...
Loved this recipe. I didn't have any cayenne on hand so I substituted red pepper flakes and added them to the blender squash mixture instead of the broth. I will definitely be making this agai...
I've made this a few times with vegetable stock and lactose free cream cheese. The cayenne adds a small, but welcome kick to it!
Honestly amazing! I had a buttercup squash for the first time, no cookie what to do with it. I made the soup as directed with just a dash of marjoram (i'm sensitive to it) and thyme in the p...
Delicious! I used vegetable broth to make it vegetarian, and used fat free cream cheese. Will definitely make again, for sure a keeper!
So delicious. Made with buttercup squash (yum) and used fresh thyme, as suggested as a change. Might use a little more spices next time. I'd make this again!
Instead of chicken broth, I used Vegetable broth. And added garlic .