Ingredients1 h 15 m servings 186
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Place squash cut-side down in a baking dish; fill with 1/4 inch of water.
- Bake squash in the preheated oven until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat; cook and stir onion until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Heat chicken broth, basil, marjoram, black pepper, and cayenne in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Scoop flesh from squash into a blender or food processor; add onion and cream cheese. Blend mixture until smooth, working in batches if needed. Mix squash mixture into broth mixture; cook, stirring frequently, until soup is heated through but not boiling, about 5 minutes.
- Cook's Note:
- Substitute shredded fresh basil for the dried, if desired. Substitute summer savory or thyme for the marjoram, if desired.
Per Serving: 186 calories; 11.7 18.8 4.1 36 483 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 9
Great recipe! I had a couple of chicken breasts that I needed to cook so I boiled them in the stock for 20 mins then and shredded it. I added squash, onions and cream cheese directly into my sau...
Instead of chicken broth, I used Vegetable broth. And added garlic .
Great recipe! I froze the left over soup and it tastes great after being reheated.
We used shallots and thyme in place of onion and marjoram, turned out great and would probably do well with crisp maple or brown sugar bacon crumbled on top. Delicious and flexible.
Decided to try this since we had a buttercup squash we received from a food bank, and it was delicious! I didn't have chicken stock on hand, so I used the beef stock I had and it still turned ou...
Super easy and flexible, I used Butternut squash. Great flavor, if you're not a veggie person (like me) this is a great way to become one.
Great soup loved the flavor. I substituted the marjoram with thyme and used half of a red onion for the whole yellow onion. It was great!