Ingredients25 m servings 698
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove some of the bread from the middle of bread halves to accommodate more toppings. Spread about 1 teaspoon butter on each half.
- Spread 2 to 3 tablespoons warmed refried beans on bread. Sprinkle about 1/4 cup Borden(R) Cheddar and Monterey Jack shredded cheese on the beans. Place bread halves on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven until the cheese is melted and bubbly and the bread is crispy, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Top molletes with Mexican salsa or pico de gallo.
- Cook's Notes:
- Traditionally molletes are served with Mexican Sauce (Salsa Mexicana) but any salsa would work with them.
- If you would like to make them fancier you could add toppings such as: bacon, chorizo, mushrooms or poblano peppers.
- This recipe is excellent to reuse leftover bolillos or dining rolls.
Per Serving: 698 calories; 26.1 85.3 28 77 1023 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 7
I hadn't had Molletes since I was a kid. Now I remember why I loved them so much. I used my own homemade refried beans and the addition of butter to the bolillo kicked it up a notch. I loved th...
Oh heaven!! These were fantastic!! For the refried beans, I used my own "hack" with canned refried beans--it's super quick and tastes like homemade refried beans from scratch. Because I add add...
These were really good. I had never had them before, but I will be making them again. So easy! Yum, thanks for a great new recipe.
Simple and yummy vegetarian meal. Even my finicky seven year old liked it!
This was super easy, fast, and everyone loved it. I melted the butter and brushed it onto the bread (just to make my life easier). I topped it with a dollop of sour cream -- SO GOOD! It's gre...
This is a delicious and easy snack. The cheese really does make a difference. Thank you for the recipe.