Buckwheat Cereal with Mushrooms and Onions
"Buckwheat is a healthy side dish containing all 9 of the essential amino acids. It's very popular in Europe. Buckwheat is gluten free, as it's not a grain. This recipe is not as quick as a plain basic way to cook buckwheat, but it's so worth it and smells and tastes so good. Serve hot with a small piece of butter on top."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients55 m servings 243
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Rinse buckwheat with cold water in a colander; drain.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat; cook and stir buckwheat until toasted and fragrant, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
- Heat olive oil in the skillet over medium heat; cook and stir onion and carrot until onion is golden, 5 to 10 minutes. Add mushrooms; cook and stir for 5 minutes more.
- Melt butter in a pot over medium heat; add buckwheat and stir to coat. Add onion mixture, water, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer until liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
You might also like
- Cook's Notes:
- Toasting the buckwheat in step 2 is optional. It will give the cereal a more intense buckwheat flavor.
- Substitute broth for the water, if desired.
Per Serving: 243 calories; 8 39 8.2 8 79 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 1