Vegan Apple Pie
made it | 0 reviews |
"This pie is delicious! My family raved. This is my own recipe. Being that it is an apple pie, it is very simple. Making it vegan was not hard at all either. With no animal products, the crust is very buttery and light. Serve right out of the oven, chilled, or slightly warmed and a la mode."
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients1 h 48 m servings 642 cals
Original recipe yields 8 servings (1 9-inch pie)
- Combine 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 cup vegan margarine, 1 tablespoon white sugar, and salt in a food processor; pulse until mixture clumps together. Pour water in slowly and pulse a few times until a dough forms.
- Transfer dough to a flat work surface; knead for 30 seconds and shape into a disk. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
- Dust a flat work surface with flour. Roll dough out into two 10-inch crusts. Press 1 crust gently into a 9-inch pie plate.
- Combine brown sugar, 1/2 cup vegan margarine, 1/4 cup white sugar, rice milk, 3 tablespoons flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a saucepan; cook and stir over medium heat until margarine melts and brown sugar is dissolved, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place apple slices in a large bowl. Pour brown sugar mixture on top; mix until apples are evenly coated. Pile apples into the bottom crust. Cover with the second crust. Cut slits in the top crust with a sharp knife.
- Bake in the preheated oven until crust is golden brown and apples are semi translucent, 45 to 60 minutes.
- Cook's Notes:
- Millet flour worked really well in the crust and makes it gluten-free.
- Substitute water for the rice milk if desired.
- Brushing dough with vegan margarine and sprinkling sugar on top adds a pretty finishing touch.
Per Serving: 642 calories; 33.9 g fat; 81.2 g carbohydrates; 4.6 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 637 mg sodium. Full nutrition