Mexican-Style Shrimp Cocktail
- Place clam juice and oregano in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and stir just until shrimp turn pink and are not quite cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve liquid. Let shrimp cool to room temperature.
- Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, red onion, and jalapenos is a mixing bowl. Add ketchup, cooking liquid from the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Gently mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Chop shrimp into bite-size pieces, leaving a few whole for garnishes. Stir chopped pieces into the vegetable mixture. Wrap mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place reserved shrimp in a bowl; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate shrimp cocktail and reserved shrimp until thoroughly chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- If mixture seems a bit thick, add a little tomato juice or pickle juice. Stir in avocado cubes. Serve, if possible, in clear glass bowls. Top with reserved whole shrimp and some cilantro leaves.
- Chef's Note:
- You can substitute 1 1/4 cups quartered small cherry tomatoes for the diced tomatoes.
Per Serving: 268 calories; 11.7 22.8 22.2 174 690 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 14
This is perfect to bring to any party/gathering and I love that I can pretty much make it the night before (waiting to add the avocado right before serving). I used juice from half an orange in...
Hi Chef John, Great recipe I'm a Mexican Chef well done and you are a GREAT Chef ,
I made it, but I didn't add the celery, did add some V8 juice and some Clamato spicy juice, cause I recall my dad using those juices and not adding celery. :-)
This was pretty good! I think I may have added too much cucumber BC it tasted a little watered down. And next time, I’ll add more avocado! I mean, ya can’t go wrong w more avocado!!!