Mexican-Style Shrimp Cocktail
- Place clam juice and oregano in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and stir just until shrimp turn pink and are not quite cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve liquid. Let shrimp cool to room temperature. Watch Now
- Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, red onion, and jalapenos is a mixing bowl. Add ketchup, cooking liquid from the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Gently mix until ingredients are well blended. Watch Now
- Chop shrimp into bite-size pieces, leaving a few whole for garnishes. Stir chopped pieces into the vegetable mixture. Wrap mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place reserved shrimp in a bowl; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate shrimp cocktail and reserved shrimp until thoroughly chilled, 2 to 3 hours. Watch Now
- If mixture seems a bit thick, add a little tomato juice or pickle juice. Stir in avocado cubes. Serve, if possible, in clear glass bowls. Top with reserved whole shrimp and some cilantro leaves. Watch Now
- Chef's Note:
- You can substitute 1 1/4 cups quartered small cherry tomatoes for the diced tomatoes.
Per Serving: 268 calories; 11.7 22.8 22.2 174 690 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 15
This is perfect to bring to any party/gathering and I love that I can pretty much make it the night before (waiting to add the avocado right before serving). I used juice from half an orange in...
Hi Chef John, Great recipe I'm a Mexican Chef well done and you are a GREAT Chef ,
This was pretty good! I think I may have added too much cucumber BC it tasted a little watered down. And next time, I’ll add more avocado! I mean, ya can’t go wrong w more avocado!!!
This has become a staple in our house, made this several times and will make it again when our daughter's family visits from Vermont this Easter weekend. So good and very filling, this is an ent...
I made it, but I didn't add the celery, did add some V8 juice and some Clamato spicy juice, cause I recall my dad using those juices and not adding celery. :-)