Mexican-Style Shrimp Cocktail
- Place clam juice and oregano in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and stir just until shrimp turn pink and are not quite cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve liquid. Let shrimp cool to room temperature.
- Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, red onion, and jalapenos is a mixing bowl. Add ketchup, cooking liquid from the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Gently mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Chop shrimp into bite-size pieces, leaving a few whole for garnishes. Stir chopped pieces into the vegetable mixture. Wrap mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place reserved shrimp in a bowl; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate shrimp cocktail and reserved shrimp until thoroughly chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- If mixture seems a bit thick, add a little tomato juice or pickle juice. Stir in avocado cubes. Serve, if possible, in clear glass bowls. Top with reserved whole shrimp and some cilantro leaves.
- Chef's Note:
- You can substitute 1 1/4 cups quartered small cherry tomatoes for the diced tomatoes.
Per Serving: 268 calories; 11.7 22.8 22.2 174 690 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 24
Hi Chef John, Great recipe I'm a Mexican Chef well done and you are a GREAT Chef ,
This is perfect to bring to any party/gathering and I love that I can pretty much make it the night before (waiting to add the avocado right before serving). I used juice from half an orange in...
Oh. My. GAWD!!! This was delicious. I didn’t think there would be anyway I would love this style of shrimp cocktail better than the other kind I had been eating all of my life but boy, was I w...
Delicious fresh meal. I’ve made it with and without the clam juice. Both ways are delicious!
This was delicious! I followed the recipe as is, although I forgot to buy the avocado which only made a difference to me because I knew it was missing. I'll definitely add it next time. This wi...
I doubled the recipe, needed more than 4 servings! Turned out really, really good. I'll definitely be making this again!