Mexican-Style Shrimp Cocktail
- Place clam juice and oregano in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add shrimp and stir just until shrimp turn pink and are not quite cooked through, about 2 minutes. Transfer shrimp to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Reserve liquid. Let shrimp cool to room temperature.
- Place chopped tomatoes, cucumbers, celery, red onion, and jalapenos is a mixing bowl. Add ketchup, cooking liquid from the shrimp, lime juice, cilantro, and hot sauce. Gently mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Chop shrimp into bite-size pieces, leaving a few whole for garnishes. Stir chopped pieces into the vegetable mixture. Wrap mixing bowl with plastic wrap. Place reserved shrimp in a bowl; wrap with plastic wrap. Refrigerate shrimp cocktail and reserved shrimp until thoroughly chilled, 2 to 3 hours.
- If mixture seems a bit thick, add a little tomato juice or pickle juice. Stir in avocado cubes. Serve, if possible, in clear glass bowls. Top with reserved whole shrimp and some cilantro leaves.
- Chef's Note:
- You can substitute 1 1/4 cups quartered small cherry tomatoes for the diced tomatoes.
Per Serving: 268 calories; 11.7 22.8 22.2 174 690 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 18
Hi Chef John, Great recipe I'm a Mexican Chef well done and you are a GREAT Chef ,
This is perfect to bring to any party/gathering and I love that I can pretty much make it the night before (waiting to add the avocado right before serving). I used juice from half an orange in...
This was pretty good! I think I may have added too much cucumber BC it tasted a little watered down. And next time, I’ll add more avocado! I mean, ya can’t go wrong w more avocado!!!
Delicious fresh meal. I’ve made it with and without the clam juice. Both ways are delicious!
This was delicious! I followed the recipe as is, although I forgot to buy the avocado which only made a difference to me because I knew it was missing. I'll definitely add it next time. This wi...
I doubled the recipe, needed more than 4 servings! Turned out really, really good. I'll definitely be making this again!
This has become a staple in our house, made this several times and will make it again when our daughter's family visits from Vermont this Easter weekend. So good and very filling, this is an ent...