Cream of Broccoli Soup with Quinoa
Ingredients1 h 10 m servings 405 cals
- Bring 2 cups water and quinoa to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and simmer until quinoa is tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in a heavy 4-quart pot. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in vegetable stock, broccoli, sweet potato, and salt. Bring soup to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until broccoli and sweet potato are very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Remove soup from the heat. Puree with a hand-held immersion blender until smooth. Season with nutmeg, garam masala, and pepper.
- Combine 1/2 cup water and cashews in a high-speed blender; puree until smooth.
- Pour cashew mixture into the soup and bring to a boil.
- Place 1/3 cup cooked quinoa in the center of each serving bowl; ladle soup around quinoa.
- Cook's Notes:
- The quinoa complements the soup well if made with vegetable or chicken stock instead of water.
- Use frozen broccoli if preferred. Try adding 1/2 small onion, chopped and sautéed, when cooking the quinoa. You can also add 1 small carrot and 1 small parsnip, peeled and grated, halfway through the cooking time.
Per Serving: 405 calories; 13.3 g fat; 60.9 g carbohydrates; 13.8 g protein; 0 mg cholesterol; 579 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
Broccoli is the dominant taste, which I like! I did not modify the recipe, other than utilizing veggie broth and it was very nice. Quinoa offers a nice protein and some great texture.
I really enjoyed this soup! I did make just a few slight changes using what I had on hand. I didn't have Garam Masala and couldn't find it during my shopping trip but looked up a recipe for it a...