Gabe's Coffee-Crusted Hanger Steak with Apple, Fennel, and Herb Salad
"This smoky, sweet, spicy rub adds amazing flavor and color to just about any type of steak or pork tenderloin and is great for grilling and pan-searing. To save time, make the rub ahead of time and store in an airtight container until ready to use. This recipe was made in a Panasonic CIO and appears on an episode of the Dinner Spinner TV Show on The CW!"
Added to shopping list. Go to shopping list.
Ingredients44 m servings 413
Original recipe yields 4 servings
- Cook and stir fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat until toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or food processor; add coffee, ancho chile pepper, brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Grind until spice rub is a medium-coarse texture.
- Break steak down into 4-ounce pieces. Lightly score steak 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch and season with salt. Rub steak with spice rub. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high. Pack spice rub onto all sides of the steak and place in the hot cast iron skillet; drizzle about 1 teaspoon olive oil over steak.
- Cook steak in the cast iron skillet until well browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and scatter shallots, smashed garlic, thyme, and butter around steak. Cook steak until desired doneness is reached, 4 to 5 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Let steak rest for 5 minutes; cut into thin slices.
- Whisk juice of 1 lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl until dressing is evenly mixed.
- Thinly shave fennel and toss with juice from 1/2 lemon (to preserve color) in a bowl. Add apple, mint, parsley, and cilantro. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently; season with salt and pepper. Arrange steak slices on top of salad and scatter roasted shallots, pomegranate seeds, and hazelnuts on top.
You might also like
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of rub. The actual amount of rub consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 413 calories; 17.1 53.9 20.7 33 3782 Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
There is a lot going on in this recipe and you will need to plan on a lot more than 30 minutes prep. With that being said, I made exactly as written with the exception of hazelnuts. My local gro...