Gabe's Coffee-Crusted Hanger Steak with Apple, Fennel, and Herb Salad
Ingredients44 m servings 413 cals
- Cook and stir fennel seeds, cumin seeds, and coriander seeds in a skillet over medium-high heat until toasted and fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or food processor; add coffee, ancho chile pepper, brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, and red pepper flakes. Grind until spice rub is a medium-coarse texture.
- Break steak down into 4-ounce pieces. Lightly score steak 1/2-inch x 1/2-inch and season with salt. Rub steak with spice rub. Heat a cast iron skillet over medium high. Pack spice rub onto all sides of the steak and place in the hot cast iron skillet; drizzle about 1 teaspoon olive oil over steak.
- Cook steak in the cast iron skillet until well browned, about 4 minutes. Flip and scatter shallots, smashed garlic, thyme, and butter around steak. Cook steak until desired doneness is reached, 4 to 5 minutes more. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 140 degrees F (60 degrees C). Let steak rest for 5 minutes; cut into thin slices.
- Whisk juice of 1 lemon, lemon zest, olive oil, honey, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl until dressing is evenly mixed.
- Thinly shave fennel and toss with juice from 1/2 lemon (to preserve color) in a bowl. Add apple, mint, parsley, and cilantro. Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently; season with salt and pepper. Arrange steak slices on top of salad and scatter roasted shallots, pomegranate seeds, and hazelnuts on top.
- Editor's Note:
- Nutrition data for this recipe includes the full amount of rub. The actual amount of rub consumed will vary.
Per Serving: 413 calories; 17.1 g fat; 53.9 g carbohydrates; 20.7 g protein; 33 mg cholesterol; 3782 mg sodium. Full nutrition
ReviewsRead all reviews 3
There is a lot going on in this recipe and you will need to plan on a lot more than 30 minutes prep. With that being said, I made exactly as written with the exception of hazelnuts. My local gro...